Native American Sterling Silver Baby Spoons
SilverTQ, LLC offers an assortment of traditionally handcrafted, USA made sterling silver baby spoons. Southwestern Native Americans are well known to dote upon their children. Their expertise as masters of silversmithing is often used to create useable, heirloom quality sterling silver items for their babies. These special baby items often include various types of spoons, forks, rattles, bracelets and rings.
A Common Technique
Sterling silver is 92.5% (.925) pure silver. The remaining 7.5% is of another metal, primarily copper, added to give the metal more strength. Native American handcrafted sterling silver baby spoons can be created using different methods. A common technique is one which the artisan uses plate silver to cut out the bowl of the spoon. The artisan then cuts out the handle and stamps it before shaping the handle, sometimes creating it into a loop style configuration. The handle and spoon bowl are then expertly soldered so they appear to be one piece. In some instances, the bowl and handle are cut out of a single piece of silver and then stamped and formed to make the spoon. Either handcrafted method is quite acceptable and impressive.
Sandcasting is another handcrafted technique or method an artisan can use to create a spoon. This type of spoon is oftentimes heavier in weight due to this sandcasting process. A mold is hand cut in a block of soft sandstone-like material, typically Tufa Stone. This is the master carving.
Sprue holes (air vents) and a pouring hole are cut into this block so the casting will come out perfectly. A solid flat block is placed over this carved block and secured by a heavy rubber band, sometimes cut from a tire inner tube. The molten silver is poured into the pour hole allowing the sprue holes to push the air out. The casting is released and the silver sprues are removed.
The top is generally polished but the back typically will show the graining of the mold material. This will be the master product. A block of slightly damp sand will be filled and ready in a form. This master-molded piece of spoon (or jewelry) will then be pushed into the sand from one to several times, depending upon the size the artisan chooses for his or her box.
The same sprue holes are formed as well as pour holes for each individual piece. A large stone is placed on top as before, and molten silver poured into each pour hole to produce like copies of the original product. This item, now referred to as the master product, has generated multiple identical pieces cast in the sand mold. This is the basis for the term referred to as “Native American handcrafted sandcast sterling silver jewelry and crafts.” Baby spoons are not the only items that are sandcast. Buckles, pendants, necklaces, concho belts, bolos, rings, and squash blossom necklaces are also commonly created using this sandcast method.
Offering sterling silver Native American jewelry handcrafted in the USA is the fundamental “business mantra” of SilverTQ, LLC. Imported or imitation jewelry of any kind is not what we sell. No matter the style or styles of these expertly handcrafted pieces, you can be assured complete satisfaction. Individually made, one at a time, each piece to be cherished and worn proudly.
Navajo Sterling Silver Baby Fork And Spoon Set – BS#1001$165.00
Navajo Sterling Silver Baby Spoon – BS#1007$85.00
Navajo Sterling Silver Baby Spoon – BS#1008$79.00
Navajo Sterling Silver Baby Spoon With Looped Handle – BS#1010$49.00
Navajo Sterling Silver KoKopelli Baby Spoon – BS#1002$85.00
Navajo Sterling SilverTQ, LLC Baby Spoon – BS#1003$95.00
Navajo Sterling SilverTQ, LLC Baby Spoon – BS#1004$95.00
Navajo Sterling SilverTQ, LLC Baby Spoon – BS#1005$95.00
- Sold OutInfoBuy
Navajo Sterling SilverTQ, LLC Baby Spoon – BS#1006$65.00
Navajo Sterling SilverTQ, LLC Baby Spoon With Looped Handle – BS#1000$129.00
- Sold OutInfoBuy
Navajo Sterling SilverTQ, LLC Baby Spoon With Looped Handle – BS#1009$55.00
Showing all 11 results